China tabled its own draft UN Security Council statement on North Korea's missile launch on Monday as the council put off action to give a Chinese delegation led by Vice Premier Hui Liangyu time to talk to Pyongyang, Reuters reported. China's statement, which calls for an early resumption of the stalled six-party talks, was supported by Russia, but opposed by the United States, Britain and Japan. US Ambassador John Bolton called China's draft statement "manifestly insufficientï¿½ and Britain's Ambassador Emyr Jones Parry said "the text we were offered as an alternative didn't really do the job." Beijing is worried a Japan-drafted resolution imposing sanctions might be eventually used to lay the groundwork for military action on Pyongyang. North Korea launched at least seven missiles last week, including a long-range Taepodong-2, which some experts have said could hit Alaska.
You must log in to post a comment.
Yes, I would like to receive emails from China Economic Review. (You can unsubscribe anytime)
Copyright © 2018 SinoMedia Group Limited All rights reserved