Highlights from the last week of China business news.
Hobnobbing in Bali and Beijing
Lots of high-powered meetings recently, with the attendant speculation about their outcomes. Probably the most enjoyable one to be at is in Bali, where 190 countries have sent delegates to hash out a plan – for two weeks – to replace the Kyoto Protocol, which expires in 2012. That meet started Monday, and, although details are still surprisingly thin on the ground, it appears that China will continue to reject imposed emissions targets. It will propose the creation of an international technology transfer fund – paid for by developed countries – that will help developing nations research and create their own clean technology. This works out very well for China, clearly. In the less salubrious environs of Beijing, another meeting of consequence ended this week, confirming the rumors that the top national leadership has decided to step up monetary tightening measures next year. The seasoned decoders of bureaucrat-speak at the Journal say officials now speak of a “tight” monetary policy for next year, instead of the “stable-to-tight” regime now in place. Next week, the US-China Strategic Economic Dialog happens for the last time this year. Hank Paulson flies in with Susan Schwab, product safety chief Mike Leavitt and others to talk about product safety and – surprise! – letting the yuan appreciate more quickly. Vice Premier Wu Yi must be glad she’s retiring in March.
Rio Tinto mines a rich vein of rumors
Will they or won’t they, steel executives wondered this week about a Chinese counter-bid for Rio Tinto. Last week, we wrote that China Investment Corp was rumored to be putting together a deal to buy into Rio, but that was quickly squashed by CIC and Rio executives. The sovereign wealth fund did say, after all, that it’s not confident enough to go raiding abroad yet, and that it would steer clear of sensitive industries. So the rumor mill promptly put new hearsay into circulation. For awhile, it seemed that Baosteel would spearhead a consortium of Chinese firms to snatch up Rio Tinto. A Baosteel executive told Economic Observer last week that his firm would only join a bid if the Chinese government wanted it to – hinting that a bid was possible, though not confirmed. Then the 21st Century Business Herald said Baosteel chairman Xu Lejiang confirmed that a bid was in the works. Shares of Rio Tinto jumped. Today, the official Shanghai Securities News quoted Xu denying the quote. “I did not say this. It is a fabrication of the media,” he said. Even with that seemingly definitive response to the matter, our guess is the rumor mill still has plenty of grist to keep it churning.
You can also get the weekly news by e-mail. Just subscribe here.