The Chinese government announced on Thursday that it would retaliate against US president Donald Trump’s next round of tariffs on Chinese exports, which are scheduled to take effect in September, said the Financial Times.
Since last summer, the Trump administration has imposed tariffs of 10-25% on about half of all Chinese exports to the US. The September tariffs, initially set at 10% will target those products that had not previously been levied.
In its statement, the State Council said Trump’s decision to proceed with new tariffs next month represented “a serious violation of the consensus” reached in talks with his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, in their last two face-to-face meetings at the G20 meetings in Buenos Aires in December and Osaka in June.
“[The US] has deviated from the correct track of consultation and settlement of differences,” the State Council said. “China will have to take necessary countermeasures.”
You must log in to post a comment.