President Hu Jintao made his first visit to Xinjiang province on Tuesday after the ethnic riots last month that left hundreds dead, the AP reported. He was shown on television visiting with members of the Uighur minority group, touring factories and talking to military and security forces. "The victory of this struggle fully showed the power of the party and the people," Hu said. "The [separatist] forces are doomed to fail and their sabotage activities will not shake the overall situation of the stable development of the reform in Xinjiang." On the same day, an article on the website of the state-controlled China Daily said that 200 people were to be tried for a "day of carnage" for their part in the riots, but the webpage was taken down within 24 hours, and the Urumqi government press officer said that only 83 suspects have been formally charged and no trial date has been set. The July riots were considered a serious enough threat to stability in the region that President Hu was required to cut short his attendance at the recent G8 conference in Italy to attend to reestablishing law and order.