A ring-back tone is the sound or music that callers can hear instead of a ringing tone when calling a mobile phone. Consumers are charged two fees for ring-back tones: a subscription fee of about RMB5 (US$0.67) and a title fee of RMB2-3 (US$0.27-0.40) per song.
In the past, operators would only receive 15% of the title fee, the other 85% going to the service provider and content provider. Now operators are cutting out the service providers to take a larger share of the profits. According to Beijing-based consultancy BDA China, China Mobile’s ring-back tone sales jumped 97% in 2006 to US$900.3 million and were on course to post a 90% gain in 2007.
Central Music Platform
China Mobile launched the Central Music Platform this year to bring together the 150-plus mobile music platforms currently operating in the country. It allows firms to work directly with record labels to sell music-based products.
“China Mobile has allowed only a handful of [WVAS] service providers to join the platform,” said Mark Natkin, Managing Director of Beijing-based Marbridge Consulting.
The reason it allowed the service providers in at all was to tap their experience in marketing ring-back tones. However, instead of splitting proceeds with service providers, China Mobile has simply made direct licensing deals with major foreign and domestic music labels.
You must log in to post a comment.
Yes, I would like to receive emails from China Economic Review. (You can unsubscribe anytime)
Copyright © 2018 SinoMedia Group Limited All rights reserved