US President Donald Trump has threatened to impose a further $200 billion of fresh tariffs on Chinese imports, reports the Financial Times, after Beijing retaliated in equal measure to the White House’s $50 billion in tariffs signed last week.
In a statement on Monday evening, Trump said that he had instructed US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to draw up a list of $200 billion worth of Chinese goods to be subject to 10% tariffs on top of the 25% rate imposed on Friday.
“China apparently has no intention of changing its unfair practices related to the acquisition of American intellectual property and technology,” Trump said.
“If China increases yet again, we will meet that action by pursuing additional tariffs on another $200 billion of goods,” he added.
You must log in to post a comment.